Monday, August 18, 2008

Studio Curriculum and Policies

For a complete copy of Studio Policies please email: jnewtonpianostudio@gmail.com

My Curriculum:
I was trained and received my degree in Piano Performance and Pedagogy (the art of teaching). My curriculum covers all aspects of musical development including: repertoire, music theory, technique, sight reading, composition, and music history. I know that students love to learn music they are familiar with. I encourage students to study a variety of different musical styles including Classical, jazz, religious, and popluar tunes.
My curriculum includes performance training so that my students are capable and comfortable sharing their talent with others and feeling the joy that comes from completing a successful performance experience.
I believe students are inspired to greater learning by listening and attending concerts and listening to recordings of great artists. Students are encouraged to listen to good music by attending concerts, listening to recordings, and enjoying performances on on the radio or via internet recordings.

Performance Opportunities:
Performances and Recitals are a way of celebrating the achievements of what students have been accomplished during lessons and practicing.
I belive that learning to perform is a skill in the same way that learning to read music is a skill. Without proper training, students feel uncomfortable in a performance setting. My curriculum includes performance training so that my students are capable and comfortable sharing their talent with others and feeling the joy that comes from completing a successful performance experience.
I have performed regularly and have givin multiple Solo Recitals, including a performance tour in China. Studio Recitals are scheduled regularly. Students are also encouraged to participate in Festivals and competitions throughout the year and perform and share talents whenever possible.